Here at Caldwell Transportation, we specialize in getting you where you need to go safely and on time, every time. You can count on us to keep you comfortable and secure while you head off on your next rafting adventure with our river shuttles.
How to Stay Safe on the River
- Always work with a licensed professional outfitter. The first and perhaps most important part of whitewater rafting safety is to choose a professional outfitter to keep you afloat. These experts live and breathe rafting, and have years of experience to respond quickly in every situation.
- Wear a lifejacket or personal flotation device at all times. You're not on the river to make a fashion statement; always keep your lifejacket on and ensure you're wearing it correctly. Your guide can help you fit your jacket perfectly.
- Wear all necessary protective gear. You protect your head when you bike and ride a motorcycle; it's as crucial when you're rafting. It's a no-brainer.
- Choose the right outfit. In early spring weather, a wetsuit, splash jacket, and proper shoes are essential. During the summer, be sure to wear quick-drying clothes that feature UV protection, and always layer on sunscreen.
- Handle the paddle properly. Without proper control of your paddle, you can suffer from black eyes and knocked-out teeth. Your outfitter can help coach you until you have it down.
- No man overboard! It may seem like common sense, but it's a routine occurrence to be jolted out of your seat and into the water when you're rafting. The first rule in this situation is to stay calm. Find your boat or the river bank next to you. Be sure to listen carefully when your guide outlines safety concerns like this.
- Practice your swimming. Your guide will review important techniques for whitewater swimming that can help you in the case of falling out of your boat. Be sure to practice before your first journey down the rapids.
- Know the language. Pay extra attention when your guide goes over the signals and commands that are essential to safety on the river.
- Stay calm. Never panic; this only leads to unsafe situations.
- Trust your guide and ask questions. Finally, never be afraid to ask questions. Your guide is an experienced expert who you can trust.
Caldwell Transportation will get you there safely; stay safe while you're there!